Sunday, July 22, 2012

Seriously?! $1.00?

This year was the first time I ever went to the post office at the very last minute to turn in my taxes.  We went through a lot of financial changes so it was pretty intense for me to try to figure out all of the paperwork this year.  We definitely had to pay taxes and we were not expecting a return.  But evidently we overpaid and they so kindly sent us a check back for the extra amount.  $1.00.  That is ONE dollar.  Not one hundred dollars.  Just one dollar.  Uno.  Wow!  Maybe if we were living a hundred years ago I would have cared about getting a dollar back but what can I do with a dollar now?  I can't even buy a gallon of gas or a pack of gum (at most stores.)  I think they should have done the post office a favor and not sent the check at all considering that was probably just one more piece of mail that the USPS had to deliver but didn't get paid for.  No wonder they are in so much debt! 

I think I could go on and on with snide remarks about the IRS sending us back a check for one dollar, but I don't think I will.  The truth is, this is actually the second time we've received a check from the government for $1.  I don't remember what happened to the first one but this time Ken and I have decided not to cash the check.  Maybe we will frame it someday. Have you ever had a ridiculous encounter with a government agency?


1 comment: